Wednesday, March 23, 2005

An Update for the Readers

In checking my reader audience through site meter, I found this site called Rouge Classicism.

There I found an entry about this site:

I'm starting to get paranoid about announcing new blogs here ... seems every one I announce suddenly goes silent or 'dies' within a few weeks. So, with those risks in mind, I am still going to alert folks to the existence of a blog called Classical Archaeologist, which is the creation of an undergrad majoring in Ancient History and Geology.

First of all, thanks for the link! I can assure you that as long as there are interesting topics to discuss in archaeoloogy, this blog will not go silent for any extended period of time. I am very dedicated to the fields of Classical Archaeology and Geology, and will be for the rest of my life.

On that note, I still have not heard back from Ohio State or U Penn concerning graduate school admission. I also received bad funding news from Boston University after emailing a current grad student there. He said only 7 of 50 Archaeology grad students are funded. To go there I need about 45k/yr--that's tuition and cost of living. So much for that one acceptance....

Keeping the faith...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, Laura,

I agree that the tuition is high but not necessarily prohibitive, at least at your age. Remember, that despite the financial burden post graduation, the powers that be can garnish your wages, take your personal property, etc., but they can't take back the knowledge and degree you've earned, though I don't doubt they would if they could. I've a friend who recently took his law degree in his mid thirties and is in debt to the tune of well over a hundred grand but there's nothing his creditors can do other than pray he makes his payments each month. It's a bit liberating, he claims, since it's in their best interest to keep him solvent and he's nothing to lose. So think hard before you turn something down because of the cost. And as an amateur classicist myself living in Boston (I'm in academic purgatory at the moment working in the so called real world until I'm fed up enough to Schliemann it out of Dodge at some future date and pursue my dreams ala Elizabeth Speller (I remember reading that she made a left turn in her adult life to study the Classics). So keep my advice in mind. I don't think you'll ever regret the debt.

Brent
brentwadesmith@hotmail.com

5:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm the Elizabeth Speller who took that turn. And yes, the cost was scary--if I was better at math I would never have dared --but I have never ever regretted it; what price exploration? Admittedly I didn't do much before I went to university-waiting tables, single mother- but it changed my life in ways (not just classics but in so many fields) that I could never have predicted when I started.
And in the end you find the money. Perhaps I wouldn't have written books if the pressure wasn't on to try and settle my debts. Certainly I wouldn't have written as I did, trying to bridge academic and popular writing if I hadn't had a whole life before studying.
I might add that I was drawn to Classics in a very non-academic, rather emotional way when travelling in Turkey and being amazed by the ruins of Asia Minor and knowing I had to find out about the cultures that had created these extraordinary communities.

2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home