A re-look at the grad school application process
From 12/13/04:
What am I up to? Well things have been quite busy since Thanksgiving break and haven’t really slowed down. I’m still filling out those grad school apps, studying for the GRE, and researching material from my senior thesis. Just about an hour ago I sent off the applications to UCLA and UPenn. The UCLA app was quite difficult and frustrating. There were times when I wanted to give up on it, but I stuck it out and I’m feeling really good now that it’s sent off. UCLA wanted an application, supplemental application, writing sample, statement of purpose, abreviated cv, specific plan of study (all the courses you will take), masters and PhD topics, and statement of language study. It was quite overwhelming, but it made UPenn’s application that much easier.
Here is my statement of purpose I wrote for UPenn:
My passion for ancient history, classical archaeology and geology came late in my career as an undergraduate, even though I had developed a curiosity in these subjects at an early age. It was while taking advanced field geology classes that I discovered my natural ability for working in the field and deciphering the past through scant evidence left in the earth. Subsequent ancient history courses opened up my interest to the questions currently sought in the field of classical archaeology, particularly those pertaining to Greek and Roman settlement patterns in the city and countryside of Corinth and Nemea, Greece.
This past year has prepared me to pursue these issues in graduate school. In March I journeyed to San Salvador, Bahamas, to study and interpret the past geological and archaeological landscapes—everything from the first Pleistocene glaciation to the site where Christopher Columbus first made landfall. For ten weeks over the summer, I participated in surface survey and full-scale excavation with Wright State University in Cedarville, Ohio. Not only did I learn practical field techniques such as working with a transit, but I also gained further skills in interpreting history through the archaeologic record. After winning 1,500 dollars from the college of Arts and Sciences Undergraduate Research Scholarship Competition and a 500 dollar research grant, I was bound for ancient Corinth, Greece, to collect original data vital to my senior honors thesis. The thesis will critically evaluate the methods of intensive data collection of the Eastern Korinthia Archaeological Survey (EKAS) in order to foster change and push for survey consistency in the Mediterranean to better solve the questions of ancient settlement and trade.
I would like to continue investigating archaeology in ancient Corinth and Nemea in order to understand how these major hubs interacted with the countryside, other Greek cities, and the Mediterranean world while involving a greater interdisciplinary role in geology. In other words, I would like to examine the effect of the geomorphology or changing landscape and soil type on artifacts, artifact recovery, and site recovery that will ultimately divulge clues pertaining to settlement and trade patterns. My geology minor, field and research experience, and ability to use Geographical Information Systems 9.0 and Microsoft Access, allow me the flexibility to study such complex topics. The University of Pennsylvania offers an integrated archaeology department that allows for interdisciplinary studies in the Mediterranean. The project that particularly suits my needs is the Corinth Computer Project that studies Corinth settlement during Roman times and employs GIS. Throughout my graduate career I would like to continue taking courses in ancient history, classics, art history, and geology as well as continuing to take Latin and Greek in order to become proficient in both languages. To fulfill modern language requirements I will take German or pass a reading comprehension examination. After receiving a PhD, I would like to direct archaeological surveys and excavation, engage in teaching, publish research in archaeological journals, and present lectures to the public.
As an undergraduate, I have reaped the benefits of attending lectures, organizing forums, and being involved in many facets of Ohio State and the community. One of my proudest moments involved organizing an open forum on “The Impending War with Iraq,” which was attended by over 500 students, while my most fulfilling moments have been teaching 4th graders how to excavate at the Ohio Historical Society in the “Discover Archaeology!” program. If accepted to the University of Pennsylvania, I plan to remain active and involved both on campus and in the community. This includes maintaining a presence among the professors and students in the interdisciplinary departments, organizing discussion groups, providing support for undergraduates, and publishing research.
-------
The schools I have applied to are:
Ohio State
Michigan
U Penn
Boston
UCLA
Arizona
I have five chances left....

1 Comments:
Thanks Anthony,
This is great advice. I will look into the colleges you suggest if things don't work out here in the States this year.
Post a Comment
<< Home