Beware of the Ides of March
Being that it is March 15th and me being the ancient historian that I am, I thought it would be appropriate to provide some information on March 15, 44 BC.
Last year, National Geographic wrote an article. It's a good scholarly overview in my opinion.
If you are wondering what "Ides" are, let me explain. The Romans didn't count days of the month from 1 through 30, instead they used names on several days--these were markers on which you would count the days backwards from.
The Kalends fell on the 1st of the month, the Nones on the 5th or 7th, and the Ides on the 13th or 15th. But don't take my words for it.
For primary sources by Plutarch, check out The Life of Julius Caesar and The Life of Marcus Brutus.

2 Comments:
Thanks for the sources.I am taking early western civ and plan on taking a topics course on Rome.My prof is tough but brilliant.Maybe this will help put me over the top in the future, agian thanks.
Thanks for your comment, Richard. You can find most primary souces for ancient greek and roman authors at www.perseus.tufts.edu
It's a really great resource and I use it all the time. Definitely beats buying books.
Tough but brilliant is exactly what I look for in a professor because you come out learning the most in the end, which is the most valuable thing.
Good luck!
Post a Comment
<< Home