Sunday, January 15, 2006

"Intelligent Designs on Evolution" by American RadioWorks

"Questions about our origins as a species have been plaguing us as humans, prodding us as scientists and dividing us as Americans for more than a hundred years, if not for all time. Gallup polls show that nearly half of Americans believe God created man 10,000 years ago, as the Bible says, and another third believe man evolved, but God had a hand in it. At the same time, only a third of the American public believe Darwin's theory of evolution is supported by evidence. Yet nearly all scientists and science teachers do believe in the evolutionary process. So when it comes to how we teach this topic in public schools, the controversy gets even more heated."

After blogging about the Intelligent Design debate yesterday, I hopped in my car only to catch the NPR hour-long documentary called "Intelligent Designs on Evolution" by Mary Beth Kirchner. Follow that link to download and listen to the program or read the transcript. It was a fantastic program that showed the extreme views on both sides as well as the teachers and students who are trying to find a middle ground in the debate.

On the site you can also read about the controversial Kitzmiller v. Dover case, the first court case over intelligent design in schools, where it was ruled that "ID" was unconstitutional by the First Amendment.

"Confusing religion and science does injury to both. Telling students intelligent design is science confuses them about how science works and undermines evolution, which is one of the pillars of modern biology. At a time when this country is lagging behind other nations in scientific literacy, we can ill afford to shackle our children's minds with 15th century pseudo-science."
--Vic Walczak, ACLU

You can also find many other resources on Evolution and ID by visiting the site. I encourage everyone to do this and become educated on the issue!

If you are interested in learning more about our hominin ancestors, check out this interesting, creative and well done site: Human Ancestry by Archaeology Info.

2 Comments:

Blogger MJW said...

Clearly, that monkey is yelling, "I evolved! And so did you!" But in all seriousness, you've got a great series of posts going here, Laura. Though I'm living in a blue state now and thus no longer have to deal with ID acolytes on a regular basis, I still appreciate those who will take the fight to the enemy. Well done!

8:26 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Funny, that's exactly what I thought the monkey was yelling. Good to hear from you and thanks for the blog props! I'm thinking of putting together some kind of student forum at OSU on the issue. We'll see if I can get some profs, anthro and geo grad students to back me.

9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home